This recipe is, to the best of my knowledge, an original creation. (Of course, there’s nothing new under the sun, so you may know it under another name.) It’s a combination of two brilliant hangover cures – Eggs Blackstone and the Bloody Mary. Together they make a wonderful breakfast that picks you up and sends you on your way. Or back to bed. Both outcomes are good.
Serving per person
2 large discs or 4 small coins of black pudding
4-6 slices of streaky bacon
1 English muffin, split (2 if hungry)
Bloody Mary Tomato Sauce
To make the sauce (per person, scale up accordingly)
180ml of passata
25ml of vodka
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
Optional: Half a stick of finely sliced celery or a roughly chopped sprig of parsley
- Prepare the sauce. This can be prepared the night before if covered and left in the fridge.
- Bring a pan of water to a gentle simmer (do not add salt to the water) and put the sauce in a separate pan on to a gentle heat.
- Fry or grill your bacon and black pudding to taste.
- As the bacon and black pudding nears completion, poach your eggs and toast the muffin halves (see elsewhere for detailed guides on perfect poached eggs).
- Everything should come together at the same time; layer your black pudding, bacon and poached egg on your buttered muffin, and drizzle with the Bloody Mary sauce. Garnish with chopped celery or parsley.